Organizational strengthening and improved participation of women and youth from Monte LargoDominican Republic
These are the communities (or Bateys) of the El Carril District in the municipality of Haina. The Community Foundation for the Development of Monte Largo (FUCDEMOL), based in the Monte Largo neighborhood, works in them. Non-profit institution that arises from the heart of the community as an organizational response from the northern area of the municipality of Haina on March 18, 2002.
In its work, FUCDEMOL has detected the need to strengthen the sociocultural and educational content aimed especially at young people and women as the most vulnerable groups in the precarious reality of many of the families in the area. The project aims to achieve the empowerment of women and youth in the community of Monte Largo-El Carril through its organizational strengthening, and awareness of their rights and active involvement in the social, cultural and economic community.
Neighborhood or Paraje de Monte Largo (El Carril municipal district, Bajos de Haina municipality, San Cristóbal province
Community Foundation for the Development of Monte Largo (FUCDEMOL)
General Objective: Empowerment of women and youth in the community of Monte Largo-El Carril through their organizational strengthening and awareness of their rights and active involvement in the social, cultural and economic community.
– Organization and training of 100 women that allows them a more equitable insertion and social participation.
– Creation of a group and a training school for free time monitors to build an educational space for positive development and values for young people.
(100 women and 120 young people).
TAUfundazioa, Kop and Kutxa
- Coordination, technical assistance and monitoring of project activities, through programming, accompaniment and advice at monthly meetings of the women’s group.
- Workshops on feminism, self-esteem and sexuality, sexual and reproductive health, gender violence.
- Feminist film-forum
- facilitator to teach self-esteem and sexuality workshops.
- Workshop on family education in values: for women mothers and fathers held in 2 sessions every 6 months.
- Workshop to strengthen the child’s self-esteem: for adults and carried out in 1 session 2 times a year.
- Workshops on domestic violence: for adults and young people in separate sessions 1 full day 2 times a year.
- Emotional intelligence workshop: aimed at adults and young people but in separate sessions.
- Workshop on freedom and respect in couple relationships: aimed at young people to promote good treatment and prevent gender violence in dating relationships in adolescence and youth.
- Craft workshops: for women. In fortnightly meetings, throughout the year with a diversity of crafts.
- Two annual festive days, with open doors. One on the day of the woman and another on the day of the mother.
- School reinforcement and literacy improvement courses for women.
- Creation of a free time group for young people between the ages of 7 and 16.
Creation of new youth groups and strengthening of existing ones in dance and music.
- Purchase of sound equipment, costumes for the exhibitions of each dance group and musical instruments.
- Training of monitors for leisure activities and non-formal education.
- Camp for a group of children and young people and a group of monitors (maximum of 50 people) on a weekend in a beach area.