Prevention and treatment of sexually transmitted infections (STIs) HIV / AIDS - Fundeluz in BonaoDominican Republic
JustificationThe Brisas del Yuna neighborhood is considered one of the most vulnerable neighborhoods in Bonao, due to the high unemployment rate and poverty of its neighbors. The overcrowding and violence (including sexual violence) existing in the neighborhood, make it more susceptible for health problems to occur, such as Sexually Transmitted Infections, HIV / AIDS, as well as a high rate of teenage pregnancies. There is a need to create a Care Project for people affected by HIV / AIDS, since by reviewing the province’s statistics there are no data on care for these patients and those who went to the hospital had to go to another municipality to receive ARV medications. Given the worrisomeness of this situation, they wanted to give light in the midst of the darkness in which many patients live, which is why the name FUNDELUZ.
Local PartnerOur Lady of Guadalupe Foundation
GoalsGeneral Objective: Reduce incidence of STI / HIV / AIDS in the vulnerable population of Bonao. Specific goal:
- Improve the prevention and awareness of infection of Sexually Transmitted Diseases, with emphasis on HIV / AIDS of vulnerable population and young people between 15 and 25 years of the Communities of Bonao.
- Detect people from vulnerable Bonao environments with TIS / HIV / AIDS diseases
- Implement a socio-health care service (SAI) for treatment and comprehensive monitoring of people with STI / HIV / AIDS diseases, their families and vulnerable environment.
(100 STI / HIV / AIDS patients and 2,800 relatives).
TAUfundazioa and Fundación Nuestra Señora de Guadalupe
- Previous diagnosis of the incidence of HIV / AIDS in vulnerable neighborhoods, with information on sociodemographic conditions and general health.
- Development of a prevention and awareness campaign (especially aimed at young people between 15 and 25 years old) in Bonao neighborhoods through 48 prevention-training talks; distribution of brochures and educational material and information on the proper use and distribution of condoms.
- Carry out screening (rapid tests) to detect people infected with HIV / AIDS and provide them with guidance and support.
- Quantify and statistically record all the data to contribute to the public health system that allows for greater efficacy in epidemiological surveillance.
- Assess the health care needs of the affected population.
- Create a multidisciplinary team for comprehensive socio-health care for infected people and monitoring of their environment (family …)
- Enable a space in the Dispensary of the Brisas del Yuna neighborhood for the medical care of infected people and the performance of palliative and antiretroviral therapy.