Drinking water system in the Santiago Torres community, El Paisnal municipalityEl Salvador
Access to drinking water in El Salvador is limited, further exacerbating in rural areas where there is a lack of quantity and quality of water for consumption and domestic use. Thus we have that in the rural area of Paisnal, 58.9% of the population lacks potable water and the population of the Santiago Torres community is among those that lack the aforementioned basic services, so they make use of water sources polluted such as rivers, nearby springs, private water distributors, among others, who do not exercise any control over the quality of the water. To this we add that families dedicate part of their income to buy water, for consumption and household services at high prices ($ 1 per 0.23 m3), affecting their family economy. Also, the use and consumption of poor quality water causes health problems, especially that of boys and girls who are the most vulnerable.
Santiago Torres Community, Municipality: El Paisnal; Department: San Salvador.
CORDES-Association Foundation for Community Cooperation and Development of El Salvador
General Objective: Contribute to the full exercise of the right to quality water, with the construction of a drinking water supply system.
- To improve the living conditions of the population of Santiago Torres, who do not have potable water.
- Raise awareness about the importance of good use of water.
- Improve children’s health by avoiding problems related to the consumption of contaminated water
(65 women and 67 men).
TAUfundazioa and Municipality of El Paisnal
- Establishment of a water system that will include the construction of a water storage tank with a capacity of 100 m3, a pipeline network of 2,205 meters.
- Creation of a Water and Sanitation Committee with its operating regulations.
- Development of a training and awareness program in disinfection of water with solar energy and environmental hygiene, with the participation of the water committee, Boards of Directors and 132 people (at least one per family), participants in the project.
- 4 days of awareness raising on the importance and good use of water.
- Exchange between the Water Committee made up of others that have been operating for years.