Construction 4 UAINAS: Units of Comprehensive and Nutritional Assistance for childrenBolivia
One of the most serious problems of the excluded rural indigenous communities of Cochabamba scattered and far from urban centers is the lack of accessible primary health services, which generates a serious situation of lack of health care for the families of these communities. The presence of minimal sanitary services, health centers, sanitary personnel or accessible medicines is very scarce, which implies the use of traditional indigenous medicine as the only healing method for people in need in the area. This reality has a higher incidence among women and children, which is reflected in the highest maternal and infant mortality rates in all of Bolivia. Taking into account this serious reality, the construction of the four UAINAS will serve to reduce the morbidity and mortality rates and child malnutrition of these excluded indigenous communities.
Communities of Sindicato Molinos, Sindicato Panpilla, Sindicato Icho Qhollo and Sindicato Pisly Centro, located in the Canton of Palca Department of Cochabamba
San Lucas Foundation
General Objective: Reduce child mortality of children under 6 years of age in four communities in the canton of Palca through comprehensive health and nutrition care.
- Guarantee the attention, nutrition, early stimulation and initial and daily education of 125 children from 0 to 6 years old.
- Prevent and progressively eliminate child malnutrition through strict monitoring and treatment
- Eliminate immuno-preventable diseases with the application of the expanded immunization program (EPI)
(women, men and children).
- Preparation of the operating regulations of the UAINA centers
- Training workshops so that the educators of each center can carry out their childcare functions appropriately.
- Medical and dental control of children
- Daily cleaning and hygiene of children
- Daily distribution of food for children
- Technical monitoring of the project by the F. San Lucas
- Initial education and entertainment activities for children under the responsibility of a pedagogue
- Parental involvement in feeding with products obtained from community greenhouses and family gardens
- Early stimulation training for parents
- Prevention and progressive elimination of child malnutrition of 125 children under 6 years of age
- Strict control of weight and height every 2 months to all children
- Outpatient nutritional recovery treatment Strict medical-dental control every 2 months
- Bi-monthly immunization campaign for children in each community under the age of 5